020 8972 8820

Based in

Kingston Upon Thames

Inheritance Act Claims

Inheritance Act Claims Solicitors

Contact Us Today

Rose & Rose

Inheritance Act Claims Solicitors

The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 allows certain people related to the deceased to claim financial provisions from the estate. The Inheritance Act ensures that anyone reliant on a person financially is protected should that person die. It allows those not sufficiently provided for in a Will to claim against it and receive an appropriate inheritance.


Who can claim under Inheritance Act 1975?

Under the Inheritance Act 1975, there are five groups of people can legally apply for financial provisions. They include:

  • A spouse or civil partner.
  • Children, adults or minors of the deceased. This includes adopted children, or a person treated as a child by the deceased and their family.
  • A former spouse or civil partner of the deceased if they have not remarried.
  • A person who has lived continually with the deceased for at least two years before their death.
  • Any person who was financially maintained by the deceased.

Inheritance Act 1975

There are some specific circumstances in which you can claim under the Inheritance Act. You should seek the advice of a solicitor if:

  • There was no valid Will left by the deceased.
  • The deceased has left you out of the Will.
  • You have not been left as much as you need by the deceased in their Will.

From the date probate was granted, you have six months to make an Inheritance Act claim. If you cannot finalise the outcome of your claim within this time, you may need to apply to the court for an extension.

Solicitor for Inheritance Act Claim

If you have not been suitably provided for in a loved one’s Will and believe you have a claim under the Inheritance Act, you must speak to a reputable solicitor for guidance.

Click below to speak to an experienced Inheritance Act Lawyers at Rose & Rose today.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Inheritance Act?

The Inheritance Act allows certain categories of people to make a claim should the Will or Intestacy Provisions fail to leave them reasonable final provisions, the categories are: spouse, ex-spouse, child, step-child, someone who has cohabited with the deceased for a minimum of two years or someone who has been maintained by the deceased for a minimum of two years.

What happens if I don’t have a Will?

If you do not have a will, the Intestacy Provisions will govern who your estate passes to and who will be entitled to administer the estate, your property may end up in the hands of people who you would not wish to benefit.

What are my rights as an unmarried parent?

As an unmarried parent, you have no rights to the estate should the other parent die. You may be able to claim under the Inheritance Act if you can show that the deceased parent was maintaining you.

Meet the team

Meet the team working for you. Click the photo to view that team members profile or use the button to send them an email.


Zubair Dharamsi

Zubair Dharamsi

Sally-Ann Joseph

Inheritance Act Claims in Kingston

Contact our
Team Today