Writing a Will is crucial in ensuring that your assets are distributed according to your wishes after you pass away. However, it is essential to recognise the potential risks associated with entrusting this important task to unregulated or inexperienced individuals. A recent article by Today’s Wills and Probate sheds light on the concerns raised about ‘cowboys’ providing unregulated legal services in the Will-writing industry. In this blog post, our private client team explores the significance of using a regulated legal professional when writing your Will.
What Are the Concerns Raised?
The Today’s Wills & Probate article highlights the increasing number of unregulated and inexperienced individuals operating in the Will-writing sector, commonly referred to as “cowboys.” These unregulated service providers often lack the necessary qualifications, experience, and control to safeguard the interests of clients. Some of the concerns raised followed a report commissioned by The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and included some of the following points:
- Lack of Professional Standards: Unregulated individuals may not adhere to the professional standards required in the legal industry, potentially leading to errors, omissions, or invalid Wills. This can have significant implications for the intended distribution of assets and cause unnecessary stress for loved ones.
- Inadequate Legal Knowledge: Writing a Will involves complex legal processes and considerations. Unregulated service providers may lack the deep understanding of the law necessary to navigate these complexities effectively. As a result, important legal details may be overlooked, leaving the Will vulnerable to challenges or misinterpretations.
- Insufficient Protection for Clients: Unlike regulated legal professionals, unregulated Will writers are not bound by strict regulatory bodies or professional indemnity insurance. This lack of oversight and protection exposes clients to potential misconduct, negligence, or financial loss.
Why Choose a Regulated Legal Professional?
When it comes to something as important as your Will, seeking assistance from a regulated legal professional is crucial. Here are some key reasons why:
- Expertise and Experience: Regulated Will writing solicitors have the necessary legal knowledge, qualifications, and experience to ensure your Will is drafted correctly and complies with the law. They can provide valuable guidance, address complex scenarios, and tailor the Will to your specific circumstances.
- Regulatory Supervision: Solicitors practising in regulated firms are subject to the regulations and professional standards set by legal governing bodies. Adhering to strict regulatory obligations ensures accountability, ethics, and competence in the provision of legal services.
- Client Protection: Regulated professionals are required to have professional indemnity insurance, which provides an additional layer of protection for clients in the event of any errors or negligence. This insurance helps safeguard your interests and ensures you have recourse in case of any issues.
The Expertise of Rose & Rose Will Writing Solicitors
The concerns raised in the article regarding unregulated will-writing services highlight the importance of seeking specialist legal expertise and the regulatory protection of a qualified legal professional when it comes to writing a Will.
At Rose & Rose, we understand the significance of using a regulated legal professional when writing your Will. Our experienced team of Will writing solicitors in Kingston has extensive knowledge in estate planning, probate, lasting powers of attorney and Will drafting. We prioritise understanding your unique circumstances and tailoring a comprehensive Will that reflects your wishes and protects your loved ones.
By choosing Rose & Rose, you can expect:
- Specialist guidance and expertise: Our Will writing solicitors can provide clear, accurate advice, addressing all your concerns and ensuring your Will meets your specific requirements. We can also advise on the most tax efficient way to prepare your Will to ensure that your nil rate band and any other allowances are used correctly.
- Attention to detail: We pay meticulous attention to detail, ensuring that your Will is drafted correctly, covers all necessary aspects, and minimises the risk of disputes or challenges. For couples, we can ensure that the Wills are prepared to protect your assets from potential future care home fees.
- Peace of mind: With our regulated and experienced legal professionals, you can have peace of mind knowing that your Will is in safe hands and will be legally sound. We can register your Will on the Certainty National Wills Register so you can be secure in the knowledge your original Will can always be found.
- Competitive rates with no hidden costs – We provide a quality service that is always value for money. We can provide you with a fixed fee for this service so you will know exactly what costs you will need to pay.
For further information, please contact a member of our team below.
This blog post is not intended to be taken as advice or acted upon. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our team of solicitors.