Probate fees – increase
The much-criticised increase in probate fees comes into effect in April 2019 and apply whether or not a solicitor is involved. The relevant fee will depend on the value of the estate (before IHT) with the highest value attracting a fee of £6,000 instead of the previous maximum fee of £215. The applicable fees are:
- Estates of a value of less than £50,000: completely exempt;
- Estates worth between £50,000 and £300,000: £250;
- Estates worth between £300,001 and £500,000: £750;
- Estates of £500,001 to £1m: £2,500;
- Estates worth above £1m up to £1.6m: £4,000;
- Estates worth above £1.6m up to £2m: £5,000; and
- Estates worth more than £2m: £6,000.
Please note we are unable to offer legal aid.